CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Life

"Only one life, so soon it will pass. Only what's done for Christ will last."

These are a couple lines from a song my cousins, aunt, and uncle used to sing years ago when they traveled during the summer singing at different churches. I heard them do this song many times but, I hate to say, it didn't really mean much to me at the time. But this week this song has gone through my mind over and over.

Early Sunday morning a tragedy struck the home of a young couple (Heidi and Nick) from our church. I had her in youth group for a short time when I worked with youth. I knew her older brother better since I worked with him for a longer time. Heidi heard an intruder in her house and told Nick. He armed himself with his shotgun and they headed downstairs. Nick was confronted by the intruder and a struggle over the gun started. The gun went off during the struggle hitting and killing Heidi. The gun went off a 2nd time hitting Nick in the leg. Heidi was only 25 and her husband is 27. To say that this has rocked our church is an understatement. Both Heidi and Nick's parents are dearly loved at our church and have attended for years.

This has made me think about how I'm living my own life. None of us are guaranteed a long life. If something were to happen to me tomorrow, would people say that they saw Jesus in me? Would my children remember the fun times we spent together or the times I got upset with them? Would they know how I pray for them and how my heart breaks when they are sad or hurt? Would my family know how dearly I love them? When I see my Savior face-to-face will He say "Well done, my good and faithful servant"? What am I doing daily to live for Jesus?

These are just some of the questions I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about. And these are the quesions that are causing an ongoing change in the way I live my life. No more mediocrity. I want to do all things to the glory of God.

0 comments: